The sudden cancellation came after candidates had already reached exam centres and completed final preparations.
More than 1,800 students across the UAE have been left disappointed and emotionally drained after the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test Undergraduate (NEET UG) 2026 was officially cancelled days after the examination was conducted.
The exam, held on May 3 across designated centers in Dubai, Sharjah, and Abu Dhabi, serves as the gateway for admission into medical programmes in India, including MBBS, BDS, and Ayurveda courses.
For many students, the cancellation represents far more than a delayed examination. It has disrupted years of preparation, strict study routines, and carefully planned academic timelines.
The UAE remains the largest overseas hub for NEET candidates because of its large Indian student population, making the impact of the decision particularly significant across schools and families in the region.
Students Struggle With Emotional and Academic Pressure
The announcement has triggered frustration and anxiety among students who believed their exams had gone well after months, and in some cases, years, of preparation.
One student described the emotional impact of suddenly having to restart the preparation cycle after already completing the examination.
“I am so upset. I have been preparing for this for a couple of years now. My earlier exams went off quite well,” the student said.
For many candidates, the difficulty is not only academic but psychological. After reaching peak exam readiness, students are now being forced to rebuild momentum and maintain focus without clarity on the new schedule.
Another student highlighted the growing confusion caused by overlapping entrance exam calendars and uncertain timelines.
“There are so many logistical uncertainties that remain unanswered. For students like me, juggling multiple entrance exam calendars at once, it just adds another layer of stress and confusion,” the student wrote on social media.
Why NEET UG 2026 Was Cancelled
The National Testing Agency (NTA) announced on May 12 that the examination “cannot be permitted to stand” after receiving inputs from central agencies and law-enforcement authorities in India regarding a possible compromise of the question paper.
According to reports, investigators found allegations of large-scale malpractice linked to a so-called “guess paper” that reportedly matched around 120 chemistry questions and showed significant overlap with sections of the biology paper.
The decision effectively voided the examination globally, including at overseas centers such as those in the UAE.
A fresh examination will now be conducted, although revised dates have not yet been officially confirmed.
UAE Schools Move to Reassure Students
Schools across the UAE that served as NEET examination centers have begun reassuring students and parents while awaiting further instructions from Indian authorities.
Pramod Mahajan, principal of Sharjah Indian School, said students would not need to register again for the rescheduled exam and are likely to retain their original examination centers.
“It is undoubtedly disappointing for the students, and I have received many messages from them expressing the same concern,” Mahajan said.
“The positive aspect is that candidates will not need to re-register for the next exam, and for UAE students, the exam center will most likely remain the same.”
He added that fees paid for the cancelled examination would reportedly be refunded and that the NTA would bear the cost of conducting the fresh test.
Mahajan also indicated that the rescheduled exam may likely take place sometime in June, although official confirmation is still pending.
Schools Focus on Stability and Student Support
Educators across the UAE are now focusing on helping students manage both academic uncertainty and emotional stress.
At The Indian High Group of Schools, CEO Punit MK Vasu said counsellors, mentors, and teachers are actively supporting students through the disruption.
“Counsellors and mentors are closely engaging with students to help them manage stress and maintain focus,” he said.
He explained that schools are reorganizing revision schedules, conducting additional mock tests, and offering more doubt-clearing sessions to help students maintain consistency during the uncertain period ahead.
“There is also an emphasis on emotional well-being with regular check-ins to reassure students and parents and to bring a sense of structure back into the preparation process,” Vasu added.
Uncertainty Continues for Thousands of Students
Despite reassurances from schools and educators, uncertainty continues to dominate conversations among students and parents.
The cancellation has not only delayed admissions and preparation timelines but also intensified concerns around fairness, examination security, and the emotional pressure placed on students preparing for one of India’s most competitive entrance exams.
For now, students across the UAE remain in a holding pattern, waiting for the National Testing Agency to announce the next examination date and provide clarity on how the rescheduled process will move forward.
Source: KT
Image used for illustrative purposes. Photo: KT File
Read more news, and follow us on Instagram

